Monday 17 January 2011

Fear is in the eye of the beholder - don't let it be you.

As of Thursday I will have visited London at least once a month, every month since June 2010. I'm starting to feel an old hand at the Underground systems, which quite frankly petrified me this time last year. Even though I'm more confident at traveling in the capital than I thought I'd ever be, there is always this niggling fear...

I tell myself I’m being 'extra cautious' when I see somebody looking suspicious, carrying a bag or muttering to themselves (which coincidentally is very common as Londoners are so hectic they are constantly reminding themselves to "eat don't forget to eat" or "definitely remember you have children and they need picking up from school this evening") but it is troubling that people have to remain this aware in a place they once felt safe. Maybe it’s just me, but somehow I doubt it.

Since the 7/7 bombings London has changed, whether it cares to admit it or not. People are going about their daily business but there is always that sense of threat in the back of their mind, and I'm sure it is more than one hundred times worse for the survivors and the people who lost family that day.

Has terrorism won? If we are still worried about impending attack on our nation, and being extra vigilant when carrying out every day tasks which we wouldn't have given a second thought to this time six years ago, like getting on a bus or the tube, then at least in my mind those four men succeeded in their mission, not only to kill and maim innocent commuters but to terrorise Britain.

So on Thursday when I arrive in Victoria coach station, I'm taking a stand - fear is in the eye of the beholder, don't let it be you.

No comments: