Wednesday 27 January 2010

"Let me ask you a question. What's worse? Not getting everything you wish for or getting it, but finding out it's not enough?"

I heard a quote the other day and it seemed to clarify my state of mind at the minute...

"The rest of your life is a long time and whether you know it or not, it's being shaped right now. You can choose to blame your circumstances on fate or bad look or bad choices, or you can fight back. Things aren't always going to be fair in the real world, that's just the way it is, but for the most part, you get what you give... The rest of your life is a long time and the rest of your life starts right now." - Mark Schwahn

Today I received an email from a local newspaper telling me that I could not get work experience with them because they can only take me for week long blocks. Now, because I'm trying to concentrate on getting my grades up to a standard I've never been able to achieve in my life (ha!) I can't afford to take a week off university. So the search continues...

On a MUCH lighter note... I have just paid for my reporting master class in London this February. It's with Nick Davies; the brain behind 'Flat Earth News' and David Leigh a mastermind journalist with more than 30 years experience! I definitely cannot wait for this experience, it has cost an arm and a leg but I think in the long run, the benefits gained will be invaluable.

Esther Rantzen said "only one in ten people working in the media are actually good at their job." - My mission over the next few weeks, months and years is to push myself to be that one, to stand out from the rest and get where I want to be. I honestly believe that if I keep putting myself out there and attending these great conferences, work shops, and to be quite frank... anything else I can get involved in, I might just make it.

No comments: