Monday 25 January 2010

Jumping in head first...

Well, it's such an honour to have been asked to contribute to the SoGoPro Street Team Blog a few short weeks ago. So I have recently been racking my brains for ideas for blogs and then it dawned on me.
In this blog I'm going to get you all updated on what has been happening on the work experience front for me.
So at the minute, I'm applying for an internship at Star News in Wilmington, NC. I have fallen in love with the concept of working over in the States and now I need to make it happen. It's about 2am here in Cheltenham and I'm going to be working through the night to get my cover letter for the managing editor of Star News Tim Griggs sorted, and I'll starting to piece together my portfolio for him. Unfortunately at the minute I don't have that much in the way of hard copy for him to read, so my mission first thing tomorrow morning is to scoot down to the Gloucestershire Echo HQ and grab some work experience hours. Hopefully then I'll at least get a few more bylines to throw in his direction.
Now back to Southern Gothic Productions, as this is where the love for Wilmington has stemmed. SoGoPro first started in 2009 with the extremely talented Hilarie Burton, Kelly Tenney and Nick Gray pushing their little independent production company out into the world. Since then they've managed to achieve so much in such a short space of time sending a short film entitled 'The True-Love Tale of Boyfriend and Girlfriend', the basis for a feature length film, the the first episode of a web series called 'Friendship Union Community Theatre' and the idea of a graphic novel our way. It sincerely amazed me the following that this venture built up, not only do you get to reap the benefits of this, but SoGoPro actually show you the process that they go through to get the the finished product.
It's such an inspiration and just seeing how the sense of community in Wilmington has helped build the production company up from the ground is truly inspiring. It looks like a magnificent place to be a part of, so that's why I decided to apply for this internship.
Hopefully over the next month or two I will be able to poor a lot of effort into my bid to make it to the States and get where I want to be.
I will keep you updated on the obstacles that surround me and let you all know how things are going in due course.

xo

No comments: